The end of your academic program affects your F-1 status. After you graduate or complete your exchange you have a 60-day grace period.

After Graduation for F-1 Students

If you do not apply for OPT, you have a 60-day grace period after the last day of your final quarter. Within this 60-day period you have the following options:

  • Depart the U.S. Once you leave the U.S. (including trips to Canada and Mexico) after completing your studies you are not eligible to re-enter with your current I-20. The grace period is meant for travel within the states and preparation to depart the U.S.
  • Request a new I-20 if you will continue at DSU in a new degree program.
  • If you are moving from an Associates to a Bachelors program, you must request a Change of Level I-20 from ISS.
  • Transfer your SEVIS record to a new school.
  • Apply to change status to another visa category.

Inviting Family Members to Visit the U.S.

As graduation approaches, you may want to invite your parents or other family members to celebrate commencement with you. Here are some suggestions to help them apply for a visitor’s visa (B-2) at a US consulate or embassy in their home country.

To facilitate their visa interview process you should do the following:

  • Write a letter of invitation. Include the purpose of the visit, your relationship to the individuals, a statement of your status here, itinerary details and the length of time they will be visiting (usually less than three months). It is best to emphasize the temporary nature of the invitation and to demonstrate their intention to return to their home country following the visit. If you will provide their financial support while they are here, include that information as well.
  • Include an Enrollment Verification Letter from the Registration Office to confirm your student status.
  • Provide details of the Commencement Ceremony.
  • For additional information about U.S. consulate/embassy locations and application procedures, review the U.S. Department of State visa information.