Frequently Asked Questions

Frequently Asked Questions

  • When do the semesters begin?

    The Academic Calendar contains all the important dates for the semester.

  • What are the admission application deadlines?

    The following dates are provided as a guideline. The true deadline is being able to provide all of the required materials and receive your I-20 back in time for a visa interview and still allow enough time to be at Dixie by the first day of class.

    2016 Spring Semester, December 1st
    2016 Summer Semester (8 Week Block), December 31st
    2016 Fall Semester, July 14th
    For these and other important dates, visit the academic calendar.

  • How long will it take to process my application?

    Generally it takes 3-5 business days once the application fee and required documents have been received in our office.

  • Is it faster if I apply online?

    Yes. Online applications are received instantaneously. A notification of “applications received” along with information on what to do next is emailed to you within 3-5 business days.

  • How much are application fees?

    There is a $75 application fee for all international students applying to Dixie State University.

  • How do I find out what courses I should register for?

    Upon arrival all International Students will individually meet with the International Student Services Academic Advisor. The Academic Advisor will provide one-on-one personal care to help you through the class registration process. International Transfer students from other U.S. Institutions wanting to pre-register before arrival can contact the International Student Services Academic Advisor to discuss class registration.

  • Is there housing available on campus?

    Yes. Check the Office of Housing & Residential Life web site for more information and costs. Please contact the International Student Services office if you need further assistance.

  • How much is tuition?

    DSU tuition and fees for two semesters (nonresident, full-time, 12-20 credits) is $12,992.00.
    For the ESL program tuition and fees are $3,520 (based on 15 credits per semester). For a complete listing of estimated costs see Attendance Costs.

  • How can I get a class schedule?

    The University Catalog and Class Schedule are available online.

  • What scholarships can I apply for at Dixie State University?

    The following scholarships are available for international students:
    Student government
    talent-based(art, band, orchestra, piano, dance, theater/drama, vocal)
    Sports (basketball, volleyball, baseball, football, tennis, golf, soccer)
    *please contact us for qualification requirements

  • Can I apply for financial aid through theFinancial Aid and Scholarship Office?

    If you are in the U.S. on an F1 or F2 student visa, a J1 or J2 exchange visitor visa, or a G series visa (pertaining to international organizations), you are not eligible for scholarships through the Office of Financial Aid.

  • I would like to work while studying at Dixie State University. Where should I look for jobs?

    International students, who are in lawful, full-time status, can work on-campus for 20 hours a week when school is in session. During school breaks or a vacation period, students may work up to 40 hours a week. Jobs vary from administrative positions to working in the Cafeteria. Average pay is between $7 – $8 per hour. Once on campus please contact the International Student Services office for a list of departments employing students.

  • Can I work off-campus while studying at Dixie State University?

    International students can only work off-campus as part of their Curricular Practical Training (CPT), Optional Practical Training (OPT), or if they can prove economic hardship.

  • I have found a job on campus, what do I need to do now?

    You must be in lawful, full-time student status. It is your responsibility to know and comply with all federal, state, and local laws and regulations, as well as college policies that apply to F-1 students.

    • Bring your I-20 to the International Center, and fill out an application form to apply for an on-campus work authorization letter.

    • If you are in lawful status and have been a full-time student, the International Center will prepare a letter verifying your eligibility to work on campus. This will take approximately 1 week to process.

    • Take the work authorization letter to your on-campus employer, and complete an I-9 form for the Human Resources Department so that you may be set up on the payroll system.

    • Keep up your full-time student status and make sure your I-20 does not expire. It is illegal for you to work unless you are in status and a full-time student. The Human Resources Department will check on your status several times a year and if you are not a full-time student, they will have your employer terminate your employment.

    • You are limited to working 20 hours a week when school is in session. During school breaks or your vacation period, you may work up to 40 hours a week.

    • New undergraduate and transfer students may not work until the first day of the semester they were admitted for. For example, if a student was admitted for fall semester, the student cannot arrive early and start working during summer semester.

  • What is a “Certified True Copy” and how to I get one?

    Dixie State University will accept a certified true copy (notarized copy) of an original high school document.If a notary public is unavailable you may send a copy signed and dated by a school official.

  • I would like to transfer credits from outside the U.S. to Dixie State University. What do I do?

    You will need to send your transcript to a credential evaluation service. They will verify that your course work is equivalent to course work taken at a regionally accredited college in the U.S. There is a fee involved. Once a transcript from a credential evaluation service is received, you will also need to provide a certified English translation of the course descriptions for courses to be evaluated for a specific equivalent; otherwise all courses will be transferred as elective credit.

    Dixie State University will only accept the following foreign transcript evaluators:

    • World Education Services, Inc.
      P.O.Box 26879
      San Francisco, CA 94126-6879
      Phone: (415) 677-9378
      Must request a Course-by-Course Report

    • Academic Credentials Evaluation Institute, Inc.
      P.O. Box 6928 Beverly Hills, CA 90212
      Phone: (310) 275-3530
      Must request a Comprehensive Report

    • Education Credential Evaluators, Inc.
      P.O. Box 514070
      Milwaukee, WI 53203-3470
      Phone:(414) 289-3400
      Must request a Course-by-Course Report

    • International Education Research Foundations, Inc.
      P.O. Box 3665
      Culver City, CA 90231-3665
      Phone:(310) 258-9451
      Must request a Detail Report

    • ACREVS Inc.
      1776 Clear Lake Ave.
      Milpitas, CA 95035-7014
      Phone: (408) 719-0015

  • What about health insurance?

    After you have arrived on campus, you must provide proof that you have obtained health insurance